Cheese, Potato, and Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage ( Eckrich is my favorite brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
- Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
- NOTE: You can substitute: 1/2 lb. hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch slices OR 1/2 lb. ham diced into 1/2-inch dices OR 12 oz. can of Spam diced into 1/2-inch dices, instead of the smoked sausage.