Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread or 2 large hoagie rolls or 2 large sub roll
- 1/2 lb deli roast beef ( very rare, sliced wafer thin, or you can use a frozen Rib-Eye roast shaved on an electric slicer, wh)
- 1 white onion ( thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper ( thinly sliced) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic ( minced)
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese ( thinly sliced)
- extra virgin olive oil ( for grilling)
- salt and pepper
- marinara sauce (optional topping) or ketchup ( optional topping)
- Heat a griddle or a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- When hot, cover bottom with olive oil.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until carmelized, which will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then, push the mixture off to one side of the griddle.
- Add the meat to the hot part of the griddle.
- Cook, continuously flipping the meat over and slightly chopping the meat into slightly smaller pieces with 2 spatulas, until the meat is not pink, which should take about 2 minutes.