Mexican Rice Recipe
|2||cups||long grain white rice|
|2||medium||tomatoes, seeded and chopped*|
|4||cups||hot chicken broth**|
|~||cilantro leaves for decoration|
1. Pour the rice into a mesh strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. Shake the strainer to remove all excess water.
2. Place a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat to a sizzle.
3. Add the rice, stir to coat with the oil. Lower the heat to medium and cook until each grain is separate and pale golden—Approximately 8–10 minutes.
4. While the rice cooks place the tomatoes, onions, and garlic in the blender and puree. Strain the mixture through a metal sieve.
5. Increase the heat to medium-high and pour the tomato mixture over the rice. Mix well.
6. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until all of the tomato mixture is absorbed—Approximately 4–5 minutes.
7. Add the hot broth, peas, carrots, and salt, and stir. Return the lid, lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the rice is tender— Approximately 8–10 minutes. If any liquid remains, replace the lid and cook for several more minutes.
8. Remove the rice from the heat and stir. Replace the lid and let sit for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked and fluffy.
9. Place the rice on a serving platter and decorate with the cilantro leaves.