Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Best Mac and Cheese Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb. pasta

1/2 c. butter

1/2 c. flour

4 c. milk

6 c. sharp or white Cheddar

1 T. salt

1 T. pepper

2. T. butter

1/2 c. panko bread crumbs

While the pasta is cooking, melt 1/2 c. (1 stick) of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in 1/2 c. flour and whisk together for 2-3 minutes to let it cook.

Slowly pour in 4 cups of whole milk (don’t skimp here–in fact you can even use some cream) whisking as you go until smooth. Add in 6 cups freshly shredded Cheddar (I use white or sharp). You can mix your cheeses if you’d like. Last time I made it I substituted in one cup of Gouda for one cup of the Cheddar and my husband declared it the best yet. I’ve also added in Parmagiano/Reggiano as well.

Add in 1 T. salt and 1 T. pepper. It’s a lot of spice, but you’ll need it. If you’re not huge pepper fans cut that down a bit, but you need the full amount of salt for this amount of pasta. I use Kosher or sea salt or my new favorite Real Salt.

Put the whole hot, gooey mixture into a buttered 9×13 pan.

In a small skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat. Add in 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs. Stir constantly until golden brown. Sprinkle over the macaroni.

Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...