Baked Chicken and Vegetable Casserole Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 oz cheddar cheese
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 pint tomato sauce
- olive oil
- 1/8 cup chicken broth
1. Cut zucchini and cauliflower in small chunks and cut cherry tomatoes in half. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes stirring half way through. After removing from the oven, reduce heat to 350.
2. While vegetables are roasting, heat 1 tbls. of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot reduce heat to low and add thinly sliced onions. Cook until caramelized, 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the same skillet as you cooked the onions, add 2 tbls. of olive oil and heat at medium high heat. Once hot, add the cubed chicken breasts and cook until cooked through and browned on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In the same pan as you cooked the onions and chicken place 1 tbls. of olive oil and place sliced mushrooms and the chopped bell peppers. Toss in oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes then add a little bit of chicken broth to deglaze the pan, I used about 1/8 cup. This is where all the flavor comes out...ohh yeahhh!
5. Turn off heat and add browned chicken and roasted veggies to the pan with the bell pepper and mushrooms. Stir until well combined.
6. Time for assembly! Place 1/3 of veggie and chicken mixture on bottom of 9 x 13 inch greased baking dish, next top with a 1/3 of your favorite tomato sauce (I used a tomato basil from a local Kenwood Italian cafe called Cafe Citti), and then top with cheddar cheese. Continue this layering process, but the second layer put the mozzarella cheese and on the top place the Parmesan and caramelized onions.
7. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and top is golden.
8. Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!