Cocoa Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup (for rolling)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 20 unwrapped Hershey Kisses, Candy Cane variety
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in the butter and eggs and stir to moisten and combine. When it gets all crumbly and uncooperative, use clean hands to knead the cookie dough together until it forms one smooth ball. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a bowl and the confectioners' sugar in a second bowl.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tbsp size) to scoop out balls of dough. Roll each first in the granulated sugar and then in the confectioners' sugar. Arrange on the baking sheet leaving 1-inch between each ball. Once all the balls are rolled out, press down in the center with your thumb to flatten and leave about a 1/2-inch indent.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are puffed and cracked. Remove from the oven and immediately press one Candy Cane Hershey Kiss into the center of each cookie. Let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.